We are Bread SRSLY, makers of wildly nourishing, SERIOUSLY delicious, gluten-free and vegan sourdough bread in Berkeley, CA. Our mission is to reunite people with sourdough when they thought good bread was off the table. We bake thousands of loaves of bread each week and ship them all over the U.S. to eager gluten-free eaters. We value organic ingredients, sustainable business practices, livable wages, fun in the workplace, and meaningful relationships with our staff, our vendors and our customers.
The Bread SRSLY Operations Manager is responsible for staff, systems, sourcing, and strategy. You will help our growing business achieve outstanding levels of employee satisfaction, process optimization, supply chain resilience, and forward momentum. You will lay out the roadmap for the future growth of our Operations and Production teams, our facilities, and our product lines.
We are looking for a leader with superb interpersonal skills and experience building and leading a team. People on your teams describe you as a clear communicator, a great listener, and an inspiring leader. You treat people with kindness and patience while you help them to succeed and grow. You value feedback, collaboration, and accountability on your team. Your team is inspired to bring their best effort and best ideas each day, and everyone is excited to work with you.
You are eager to lead Bread SRSLY to a sustainable scale and a larger scale. You design and implement repeatable systems that prioritize worker safety and food safety. You have experience in product development, systems design, and growth strategy. You can lend expertise in the design of new kitchen and retail facilities, and you can build the teams to staff them.
Our ideal candidate loves numbers and math, solves puzzles for fun, and is eager to take on new challenges. Your creative problem-solving skills are legendary and you turn constraints to your advantage. You are comfortable with spreadsheets and calculations, you measure everything, and you constantly identify areas for improvement.
You will work closely with the Production, Operations, and Office teams at our Berkeley facility. This full-time position may require some travel and occasional weekend work. The Operations Manager reports directly to the CEO, and manages multiple direct and indirect reports.
The Operations Manager will:
- Foster a great work environment, emphasizing a culture of leadership, communication and safety.
- Celebrate workplace successes and recognize team member contributions. Embody the Bread SRSLY culture, mission and values.
- Learn all current operations. Then make them better. Assist and empower your team in their own optimization practice.
- Develop and implement robust, scalable systems and standard operating procedures for production, including worker safety, food safety, training, process development, and quality control.
- Design long-term strategies for facilities, personnel, equipment, ingredients, costs, processes, and sustainability.
- Manage audits and compliance.
- Lead emergency response team.
- Lead product development and R+D processes.
- Improve our supply chain with a focus on redundancy and sustainability.
- Manage the Operations and Production project pipeline including being the Project Manager on team Milestones.
- Facilitate team meetings, collect notes, and document and follow through on action items.
- Manage a team including our Production Lead, Shift Lead, Logistics Coordinator, Quality Assurance Supervisor, Facilities Manager, and Order Fulfillment Associate.
- Check in with all direct reports, and maintain excellent records including employee files.
- Train and mentor new leaders on your team.
- Manage Employee Relations on the Operations and Production teams.
- Conduct regular trainings with staff on safety, policy, equipment, new processes, etc.
- Collaborate with Management team to design and implement growth strategy.
- Be the secondary point of contact for Production staff during operating hours.
- Assist employees and managers by translating between English and Spanish.
- Collaborate with HR Manager to lead the hiring, onboarding and training process.
- Collaborate with Management team to create a psychologically safe work environment.
- Continuously audit and rebuild Operations systems to prioritize Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
We are looking for someone with experience:
- Managing people and training emerging leaders.
- Creating, maintaining and improving a supply chain.
- Overseeing Regulatory Compliance, from OSHA to Organic.
- Developing new products or working in R+D.
- Managing Environmental Health and Safety.
- Working in consumer packaged goods (CPG) operations, preferably in food.
- Working in a production environment, preferably in food.
- You aim to do your best each day, and put your best foot forward
- You are a strong communicator in the workplace
- You take a solutions-oriented approach to problem solving
- You prioritize Worker Safety and Food Safety at all times in the workplace
- You crave feedback and respond to it gracefully
- You deliver feedback constructively
- You treat people with respect
- You are eager to learn, teach and share
- You help our business succeed
- Conversational Spanish.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- At least 2 years of experience in manufacturing or operations.
- At least 2 years of experience managing direct reports.
- Scheduling flexibility (holiday and overnight availability is a must.
- Working knowledge of food safety and food certifications (GF, Vegan, Kosher, Organic, etc).
- Fluency with Google Suite, Excel, and mathematical functions.
- A valid California driver’s license and reliable access to transportation.
- Ability to lift and carry at least 50 pounds.
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- Fluent Spanish.
- Allergen-free product manufacturing experience.
- Current knowledge of food manufacturing equipment
- Experience with design and build-out of food production facilities.
- Experience with B-Corp Certification
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits.
- Paid vacation and Paid Holidays.
- Great coworkers.
- Delicious gluten-free sourdough bread.
We are looking for a values-aligned leader to join our team. Please send a cover letter and resume to Sadie at email@example.com. This salaried position pays $68,000-$80,000 per year depending on experience.