We are Bread SRSLY, makers of wildly nourishing, SERIOUSLY delicious, gluten-free and vegan sourdough bread in Berkeley, CA. Our mission is to reunite people with sourdough when they thought good bread was off the table. We bake thousands of loaves of bread each week and ship them all over the U.S. to eager gluten-free eaters. We value organic ingredients, sustainable business practices, livable wages, fun in the workplace, and meaningful relationships with our staff, our vendors and our customers.
The Bread SRSLY Operations Manager is responsible for people, process, and product. You will help our growing business achieve outstanding levels of stability, consistency, predictability, and effectiveness. From supply chain management to quality assurance, you will bring your wealth of experience to our mighty and resourceful team to help us graduate from start-up solutions to industry standard.
We are looking for a leader with superb interpersonal skills and experience building and leading a team. People on your teams describe you as a clear communicator, a great listener, and an inspiring leader. You treat people with kindness and patience while you help them to succeed and grow. You value feedback, collaboration, and accountability on your team. Your team is inspired to bring their best effort and best ideas each day, and everyone knows what is expected of them, and what they can expect from you.
You are eager to lead Bread SRSLY to a sustainable scale and a larger scale. Through collaboration, observation, optimization, and change management, you lead your team to success with a high level of participation and buy-in. Your clear decision-making and expectation-setting skills help people grow, learn and manage changes.
Our ideal candidate is experienced in designing and implementing quality control systems and improving product quality. You are comfortable with spreadsheets and calculations, you measure and document everything, and you are skilled at identifying areas for improvement. You help identify and train emerging leaders on your team and can mentor them through their leadership journeys. You will work closely with the Production, Operations, and Office teams at our Berkeley facility. This full-time position may require some travel and occasional weekend work. The Operations Manager reports directly to the CEO, and manages multiple direct and indirect reports.
The Operations Manager will:
- Create a clear Operations vision and align the Operations and Production teams behind it.
- Foster a great work environment, emphasizing a culture of leadership, communication, psychological safety, and physical safety.
- Celebrate workplace successes and recognize team member contributions. Embody the Bread SRSLY culture, mission and values.
- Learn all current operations. Then make them better. Assist and empower your team in their own optimization practice.
- Be a decision maker and a change leader in Operations and Production.
- Lead and help develop the Operations team vision, strategy and work plan, and align your teams behind it. Manage resources including personnel, Operations budget, and team bandwidth.
- Develop and implement robust, scalable systems and standard operating procedures for production, starting with quality control.
- Manage audits and compliance including paperwork creation and maintenance.
- Manage vendor relationships and create strong external partnerships with product and service providers.
- Improve our supply chain with a focus on cost and redundancy.
- Lead product development and R+D processes. Approve and distribute formulation changes.
- Lend expertise in the design and building of new kitchen facilities.
- Check in with all direct reports, and maintain excellent records including employee files.
- Collaborate with HR Manager to lead the hiring, onboarding and training process.
- Be the secondary point of contact for Production staff during operating hours.
- Manage employee relations on the Operations and Production teams, and work closely with HR and with Production leaders to resolve issues quickly and fairly.
- Train and mentor new leaders on your team.
- Advise and collaborate on overall business vision, goals, and strategy.
- Collaborate with Office team on the company vision and strategy. Work on cross-departmental projects and relationships that help achieve our vision.
- Design long-term strategies for facilities, personnel, equipment, ingredients, costs, processes, and sustainability.
- Continuously audit and rebuild Operations systems to prioritize Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
We are looking for someone with experience:
- Managing people and training emerging leaders.
- Creating, maintaining and improving a supply chain.
- Overseeing Quality Control or Quality Assurance.
- Developing new products or working in R+D.
- Managing Environmental Health and Safety.
- Working in consumer packaged goods (CPG) operations, preferably in food.
- Working in a manufacturing environment, preferably in food.
- You aim to do your best each day
- You are a strong communicator in the workplace
- You take a solutions-oriented approach to problem solving
- You prioritize Worker Safety and Food Safety at all times in the workplace
- You crave feedback and respond to it gracefully
- You deliver feedback constructively
- You treat people with respect
- You are eager to learn, teach and share
- You help our business succeed
- Ability to work onsite at our Berkeley facility. Ability to work onsite at our next East Bay location in the future.
- Conversational Spanish.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- At least 4 years of experience in manufacturing operations.
- At least 4 years of experience managing direct reports. Experience resolving interpersonal conflicts.
- At least 2 years of experience in food manufacturing.
- Manager-level knowledge of food safety standards.
- Working knowledge of food certifications (GF, Vegan, Kosher, Organic, etc).
- Fluency with Google Suite including Google Sheets and mathematical functions.
- Ability to lift and carry at least 50 pounds short distances, to move from place to place, grasp, twist, bend, reach, and kneel.
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- Fluent Spanish.
- Allergen-free food manufacturing experience.
- Current knowledge of food manufacturing equipment
- Experience with design and build-out of food production facilities.
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits.
- 80 hours paid vacation per year
- 6 Paid Holidays per year (New Years Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day).
- Opportunities to attend outside conferences and trainings, join professional networks, and work with external advisors.
- Delicious gluten-free sourdough bread to take home each week.
We are looking for a values-aligned leader to join our team. Please send a cover letter and resume to Sadie at firstname.lastname@example.org. This salaried position pays $90,000 per year.