Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Strata (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian)
Also known as savory bread pudding, this dish is basically a French toast bake but with veggies and cheese instead of cinnamon and maple syrup!
This vegetarian strata is pretty simple to throw together and the oven does most of the work, so it’s perfect for serving a crowd at your next brunch party. Strata is fairly forgiving and easy to tweak (although I wouldn’t skip the cheese personally) - so feel free to add in your favorite veggies or meat depending on what you have on hand. If you're dairy or egg-free, feel free to swap in your favorite substitutes.
Recipe created by Fiona Riddle // @feelgoodwithfi
(makes 4 servings)
1 loaf Classic Sourdough
2 tbsp ghee (we like Ancient Organics)
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
8oz mixed mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 eggs (or egg substitute equivalent)
2 cups whole milk (or milk of your choice)
1 cup grated raw cheddar (or vegan cheese of your choice)
Roughly chopped parsley to top
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Cut the loaf of bread into 1" cubes and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes until the bread begins to dry out and looks toasty.
3. While the bread is in the oven, heat the ghee in a large pan and, once hot, add the mushrooms and onion, sautéing until they soften. Add the garlic and salt to taste. Continue to cook until everything is golden brown (being careful not to burn). Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Whisk the eggs, milk and cheese together in a large bowl and season with salt & pepper.
5. Combine your toasty bread cubes with the mushrooms and onion mixture in a large casserole dish or cast iron skillet. Pour the egg mixture on top and allow to sit for a minute.
6. Place in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes until the eggs are cooked through. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!