French Onion Soup (Gluten-Free, Alcohol-Free)
It’s time for soup season! This incredibly simple and nutrient dense gluten-free, alcohol-free French onion soup hits the spot with our Classic Sourdough and grated cheese sprinkled on top, no oven-proof bowl needed!
Recipe created by Fiona Riddle // @feelgoodwithfi
(makes 4 servings)
2 tbsp ghee (we like Ancient Organics)
4 yellow onions, thinly sliced
Salt to taste
5 cups beef bone broth
2 tbsp coconut aminos
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 loaf Classic Sourdough, cut into 4 slices
8 slices Emmental cheese
1. Heat the ghee in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onions and season with salt.
2. Cook the onion mixture, stirring every few minutes, until golden brown and fragrant (about 20 minutes).
3. Add in the bone broth, coconut aminos, vinegar, thyme, bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes until the onions are soft. Season with salt to taste.
4. Turn on the broiler setting for your oven or toaster oven. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet in the oven to warm up, then add the slices of cheese to each slice of bread and broil for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
5. Ladle soup into bowls, top with the cheesy bread and some extra freshly grated cheese. Enjoy!