Gluten-Free Cauliflower Steak Sandwich
Take a trip to the (vegan) steakhouse with this Cauliflower Steak Sandwich that is packed with flavor! You won’t miss the meat in this sandwich that checks all the boxes. Cauliflower gets the steak treatment with a quick sear before baking until caramelized and golden. Layered with a smoky basil mayonnaise, peppery arugula, sweet peppers and sharp red onion, a flavor explosion is nestled between two halves of a tangy Bread SRSLY Sourdough Sandwich Roll!
Recipe created by Micah Silva // @noshwithmicah
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into 4, ½ inch steaks
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp paprika
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 red pepper, sliced into 1-inch strips
¼ cup plant-based mayonnaise
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp lemon zest
¼ tsp paprika
¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup arugula
4 Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Sourdough Sandwich Rolls, sliced in half
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp oil overtop the cauliflower steaks, add turmeric, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in an oven-safe frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, searing for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until it begins to brown.
- Add pepper strips and transfer the pan to the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, basil, garlic, lemon zest, and paprika.
- Toast the Bread SRSLY Sandwich rolls to desired doneness and spread an even layer of mayonnaise. Top with arugula, cauliflower steak, pepper slices, and red onion.