Mac & Cheese with Peas and Caramelized Onions (Gluten-Free, Plant-Based)
Recipe created by Micah Silva // @nutritionxkitchen
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 box (4 servings) gluten-free pasta (I like to use cavatappi, rotini, or fusilli.)
1 cup frozen peas
¼ cup plant-based milk, unsweetened
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Generously grease a 9x13 baking pan with oil.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes or until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add 2 tbsp water, cooking until it has fully evaporated.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente according to package directions, approximately 2 minutes less than directed. Add the peas before draining.
- Add the pasta, onions, milk, nutritional yeast, and Core + Rind Cashew Cheesy Sauce to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Transfer pasta to the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine Bread SRSLY Gluten Free Breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, parsley, turmeric, and sea salt.
- Top the pasta with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.