Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sandwiches (gluten-free, dairy-free option)
Starting your morning with a protein-packed, nourishing breakfast sandwich is a guaranteed way to set your day up for success! Making your own chicken apple sausage patties is easier than you think, and even better, you’ll know exactly what’s going in them. If you’d rather use a pre-made option, that’s totally fine too. Feel free to use whatever your favorite cheese is (or omit for dairy free)- really, anything goes!
Recipe created by Fiona Riddle // @feelgoodwithfi
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free option
For the sandwiches:
4 slices cheese (your choice, can also omit for dairy-free)
4 chicken apple sausage patties (see ingredients below)
4 Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Sourdough Sandwich Rolls
Aioli (or your favorite sauce- ketchup, hot sauce are good too!)
For the sausage patties:
Ghee (for cooking)
1/2 cup finely diced apple
1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
1 lb ground chicken
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme (or other dried herbs you like)
- Start by making the sausage patties: Add a bit of ghee to a pan on medium heat and sauté the apple and onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to cool, then add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in the same pan and form the sausage mixture into 6-8 evenly sized patties. Make sure to flatten them so that they are not too thick.
- Cook the patties about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through (you’ll likely need to do this in 2 batches).
- To assemble the sandwiches, slice the buns in half and toast until warm and browned.
- Add a slice of cheese to 4 patties and heat on a pan, covered with a lid, to melt the cheese. Meanwhile, fry 4 eggs in a bit of ghee.
- Spread aioli or sauce of choice on the bun then add one sausage patty and a fried egg. Enjoy!