White Bean and Mushroom Veggie Burgers with Cashew Pesto Aioli
These gluten-free plant-based burgers made from white beans and mushrooms and topped with a vegan cashew pesto aioli make a delightful Meatless Monday recipe or nutrient-dense entrée for a backyard BBQ.
Recipe created by Katie Matthews @farelyrooted
Makes: 7-8 thick burgers
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
White Bean and Mushroom Veggie Burgers
4 TB water
2 TB ground flaxseed
3 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 small sweet onion, diced small
2 large cloves garlic, minced
8 oz container baby bella mushrooms, diced small (about 2.5 cups)
2 cans cannellini beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
2 TB fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 TB fresh basil, finely chopped
3 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
Cashew Pesto Aioli
1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
1 cup fresh basil, packed
Juice and zest of 3 lemons
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
½ cup water
Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Sourdough Sandwich Rolls
3-4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the 4 TB water and 2 TB ground flaxseed. Gently stir and set to the side to thicken.
- Heat a large skillet at medium heat, add olive oil, onions, and garlic, and saute 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add diced mushrooms to the onions and garlic and saute 3-5 minutes more, until mushrooms soften. Remove pan from heat.
- Add drained cannellini beans to a medium bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until most beans are mashed. Transfer beans to mushroom mixture and mash the beans into the mushrooms, garlic, and onion, until it all starts to stick together and just a few whole beans remain.
- Stir in garlic powder, salt, pepper, fresh parsley, fresh basil, and flax egg until well combined.
- If the mixture doesn’t seem sticky enough at this point, keep mashing it a bit more until it appears to hold its form.
- Using greased hands, firmly form mixture into patties the diameter of the Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Sourdough Sandwich Rolls, and place on the lined baking sheet.
- Notes: Our burgers were about an inch thick. Thinner burgers will take less time to cook, so the following baking times are for thick burgers, which is how we like em! If you make thinner patties, reduce baking time by 10 minutes or so on each side. I used a small greased ramekin to pack the patties in and flipped them out into perfect bun-sized circles! Works like a charm. :)
- Bake patties at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until the bottom is browned and the patties are flippable without breaking. Flip patties and bake another 15-20 minutes more until the bottoms are browned and they hold together.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes or so, so they hold their form.
- While the patties bake, make the cashew pesto aioli. Just add all aioli ingredients to a blender, and blend on high until creamy. Add a TB or two more water or lemon juice if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Slice Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Sourdough Sandwich Rolls in half and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake in the heated oven for 6-8 minutes, until just toasted.
- Assemble burgers! Layer mixed greens, burgers, tomatoes, and cashew aioli on buns, and enjoy on their own or with a side of sweet potato fries or a simple salad!