Build Your Own French Toast Breakfast Board
A loaded gluten-free French toast breakfast board with all the toppings and sides is a fun and creative way to serve and enjoy breakfast or brunch. Build your own plate, complete with maple syrup, fresh berries, your other favorite breakfast staples, and enjoy!
Recipe created by Katie Matthews @farelyrooted
Gluten-Free, Can Be Made Vegetarian or Vegan
Serves: 3-4 People
Time Needed: 45 Minutes
For the Gluten-Free, Vegan French Toast
1 loaf Bread SRSLY Classic Sourdough, sliced into ¾ inch slices
2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
¼ cup ground flaxseed
1 TB raw sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
4-5 TB coconut oil, for cooking
For the Board Fixins
Dark Chocolate Chips
Scrambled eggs or tofu with chives
Add your favorite toppings!
1. In a medium bowl mix milk, flaxseed, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sea salt. Stir together and let it sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 TB coconut oil.
3. Dunk one slice of sourdough in the milk and flax mixture and let it soak, fully submerged, for 30 seconds or so, until the middle is slightly soft to the touch.
4. Place coated slice in the heated and oiled pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on one side, until golden brown. Flip and cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side, until golden brown.
5. Apply more coconut oil to the pan as needed to ensure a generous coat of oil so the toast does not stick. If you find that it is sticking, reduce heat and add more oil.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 with the rest of the sourdough slices, with the option of cooking 3-4 slices at a time if your pan size allows.
7. To assemble board, chop fruit as desired and scramble eggs or cook tofu in a cast iron skillet with a TB of olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Use ramekins for maple syrup, yogurt, chocolate chips, or other toppings.
8. For aesthetic affect, arrange french toast slices in a wavy shape, stacking like fallen dominos.
9. Get creative with your arrangement and toppings! Do you!
10. Share with friends and a cup of steaming coffee!