Air Fryer Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Sticks (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
Make the first day of school extra special with Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Sticks! These delightful morsels only take a few minutes of prep time and are sweetened with our favorite low glycemic sweetener- dates! With a little help from a trusty air fryer, you can make a memorable first day meal without setting off the smoke alarm. (No air fryer? No problem! This recipe can easily be made in a greased skillet).
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free option, Vegan option
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Idle Time: 10-20 minutes (longer the better!)
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
1 loaf Cinnamon Raisin Gluten-Free Sourdough, cut into small sticks about 4 inches long.
1/2 cup egg substitute (like Just Egg) or two eggs if not vegan
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1/3 cup date sugar (we like the Organic Date Sugar from Just Date) or coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
Serving Options:Cinnamon Sugar (1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 cup date sugar)
Maple syrup or date syrup
1. Whisk all ingredients together except the bread sticks in a large bowl.
2. Add the bread sticks to the bowl and make sure each piece is thoroughly coated in the mixture. Soak the French Toast sticks for 10-20 minutes to absorb as much of the mixture as possible.
3. Line your air fryer basket with parchment paper, foil, or use nonstick spray to coat the bottom. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees for two minutes.
(If not using an air fryer, heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove and add about a tsp of butter/oil to the pan. Fry sticks until crispy, turning every few minutes.)
4. Turn your air fryer temperature down to 370/375 degrees and add the French Toast sticks in a single layer.
5. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until the French Toast sticks are crispy on the outside (turning the sticks once or twice during the cooking process is recommended).
6. Toss sticks in cinnamon sugar, serve with your syrup of choice, or sprinkle powdered sugar on top and enjoy!
Photos by @baydish