Gluten-Free Hot Cocoa French Toast
It's easy to forget how delicious French toast is until you randomly decide to make it when the mood strikes. This gluten-free hot chocolate version is a scrumptious blend of two holiday favorites and the perfect way to use up homemade marshmallows (find the recipe here). This recipe pairs our gluten-free sourdough with real, wholesome ingredients, so you can still indulge and keep your gut feeling great!
Total time: 20 minutes
Yields: 2 servings
Recipe and photos by Fiona Riddle // @feelgoodwithfi
Gluten-Free, can be made dairy-free
1/3 cup milk of your choice
1 tbsp cacao powder
6 slices from a Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Sourdough Pullman Loaf
Butter or coconut oil (for cooking)
Heavy whipping cream or whipped cream
Marshmallows (Store bought is fine, but it's super fun to make your own! Find the recipe here)
1. Add the egg, milk and cacao powder to a shallow bowl and mix well.
2. Heat a pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of butter or coconut oil.
3. While the pan heats, start coating your bread by adding each piece, one at a time, to the egg mixture. Flip to coat both sides, shake off any excess, and transfer to the heated pan (I did this 2 pieces at a time).
4. Cook until golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side, then remove and set aside while you coat and cook the rest of the pieces.
5. Serve topped with fresh whipped cream (whisk cream and a dash of maple syrup until stiff peaks form), marshmallows and maple syrup.