Gluten-Free, Plant-Based Green Bean Casserole
Step away from the canned green bean casserole of Thanksgiving's past, and whip up a fresh and vegan Green Bean Casserole, topped with gluten-free sourdough breadcrumbs! Crunchy green beans are cooked in a creamy plant-based sauce, and topped with seasoned breadcrumbs for a dish that can be enjoyed by anyone, not matter their dietary needs!
Recipe created by Micah Silva // @nutritionxkitchen
1lb green beans, ends trimmed
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 cup brown mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 shallots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp gluten-free flour blend
¾ cup vegetable broth
¾ cup non-dairy half and half or cream alternative
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Add the beans, and blanch for 3-4 minutes, or until bright green.
- Drain, and place in the ice bath to stop cooking. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, cooking for 5-6 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add the shallots and garlic, cooking for 4-5 minutes, or until shallots begin to soften.
- Add the thyme and flour, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Add the non-dairy cream and nutritional yeast, stirring until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add the green beans. Transfer to a 9x13 dish, or keep in the fry pan if it is oven proof.
- In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden, and enjoy!