Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Sliders w/ Fig and Caramelized Onion Cashew Cheese
These Gluten-Free and Vegan Sweet Potato Sliders with Fig and Caramelized Onion Cashew Cheese, Apples, and Arugula are a wonderful holiday appetizer packed with a perfectly balanced sweet and savory flavor!
Recipe created by Katie Mathews @farelyrooted
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
Serves 16 small sliders
Sweet Potato Mash
1 lb sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
1 TB extra virgin olive oil (or melted butter)
2 TB Just Date Syrup
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
½ sweet onion, sliced very thin
1 TB vegan butter (I used Miyoko’s)
1 TB olive oil
¼ tsp sea salt
Fig & Caramelized Onion Cashew Cheese
1 ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 to 4 hours
Juice of 2 lemons
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp sea salt
2 TB purified water
¼ cup fig jam
Caramelized onions from above recipe
Additional Ingredients for Assembly
2 small bags (or 16 individual) Bread SRSLY Classic Gluten-Free Sourdough Dinner Rolls
2 green apples, cored and sliced thin
2 cups baby arugula
- First things first. Make sure you have cashews soaked or soaking, as they need to soak for 2 to 4 hours to soften!
- Preheat oven to 400 and individually wrap sweet potatoes in foil, poking holes with a fork to let the steam out.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 40-50 minutes, until soft. Remove from oven, unwrap, and let cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, make caramelized onions. Heat 1 TB vegan butter and 1 TB olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Once lightly sizzling, add sliced onion and sea salt to the pan and saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned/caramelized, but not burned. Pour hot onions into a bowl to cool completely.
- To make cashew cheese, drain the soaked cashews and add them to a high-powered blender with lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and water. Blend until smooth, scraping the sides as needed to get all cashew bits incorporated. If your blender is having a hard time churning, add more water 1 tsp at a time until the cheese blends smooth, but thick.
- Transfer cheese to a small bowl and stir in fig jam and cooled caramelized onions. Set aside or in the fridge until ready to use.
- When sweet potatoes are cool, remove the skins, adding all the flesh to a medium bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth, and then mash in olive oil, Just Date date syrup, cinnamon, and sea salt, until evenly combined.
- Prep the rolls. Slice Bread SRSLY dinner rolls in half and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Toast at 400 for 7-10 minutes, until the tops are slightly golden.
- Assemble sliders. Spread 2 TB sweet potato mash on the bottom halves of the rolls (drizzle a bit more date syrup on if you want a little extra sweet!) and about 1 TB of cashew cheese on the top halves of the rolls. Sandwich each roll with sliced apples and a few leaves of arugula.
- Serve and enjoy!