Plant-Based Meatball Sliders
Allergen-free doesn’t have to mean taste free with this recipe for Top 8-Free Plant Based Meatball Sliders! We start by whipping up a lentil and mushroom based “meatball” that is packed with umami flavor and plant-based protein. For extra crunch, we’ve coated our lentil balls in a crunchy blend of seeds, and tucked into Bread SRSLY light and airy sourdough dinner rolls for a bite that is jam packed with flavor, without any allergens!
Recipe created by Micah Siva // @noshwithmicah
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Top 8-Free
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup shitake mushroom caps, roughly chopped
¼ cup white onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp red chili flakes
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 can green or brown lentils, drained (or 2 cups, cooked)
3/4 cup ground flax, divided
½ cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp chopped basil, fresh
¼ cup allergen-free cheese
½ cup hemp seeds
Salt and pepper, to taste
8, Bread SRSLY Gluten Free Sourdough Dinner Rolls, cut in half
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup tomato sauce
½ cup allergen-free cheese
Fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Make the meatballs: In a frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt and pepper cooking until the onions begin to soften, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the red chili flakes, paprika, and tomato paste, stirring to combine for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the green lentils, cooking until the lentils are warmed through, and the moisture evaporates.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor (or mash using a fork or potato masher), adding ¼ cup ground flax, nutritional yeast, chia seeds, basil and cheese until just combined.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ½ cup flax and hemp seeds in a shallow dish.
- Using wet hands, roll the lentil mixture into 8-10 balls. Roll each ball in the flax and hemp mixture, and place on the lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- While the meatballs are cooking, transfer the halved dinner rolls to the second tray. Brush each half with olive oil halves, and spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of tomato sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 5-6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the meatballs and buns from the oven. Place one meatball on the bottom half of the bun, top with chopped basil, and assemble with the top portion of the bun. Enjoy!