Roasted Tomato Basil & Red Pepper Soup w/ Gluten-Free Mini Grilled Cheese Croutons
This Roasted Tomato, Basil and Red Pepper Soup with Mini Grilled Cheese Croutons recipe is a gluten-free, dairy-free delight! Enjoy it as a cozy and fun fall lunch or light dinner.
Recipe created by Katie Matthews @farelyrooted
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Can be Made Vegan
Serves: 4 People
Prep Time: 1 hour (includes roasting)
Cook Time: 1 hour
Roasted Tomato Basil + Red Pepper Soup
8 roma tomatoes, cut in half
2 red bell peppers, seeds removed and cut into quarters
6 cloves garlic, peeled
¼ cup olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
½ cup cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
3 cups fresh basil, packed
1 TB fresh thyme leaves
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tsp salt
3 tsp garlic powder
Mini Grilled Cheeses
1 loaf of Bread SRSLY Classic Sourdough
5-6 slices of dairy-free or regular cheddar cheese slices
1-2 TB of vegan butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes and bell peppers on the aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Wrap the garlic cloves in a separate square of aluminum foil, drizzled with olive oil. Place on baking sheet with tomatoes and peppers.
- Roast tomatoes, peppers, and garlic at 400 for 45 minutes.
- Once veggies are roasted, warm ¼ cup olive oil in a medium pot on medium-high heat. Add onions and saute 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add canned tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh thyme, roasted tomatoes, peppers, and garlic, vegetable stock, salt, and garlic powder to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- After soup has simmered for 40 minutes, drain soaked cashews and add to a high-speed blender with the soup ingredients. Blend on medium to high until smooth. You might have to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Once smooth, pour soup back into the pot to keep warm while you make the grilled cheese croutons.
- To make the mini grilled cheese croutons, slice Bread SRSLY sourdough loaf into ¼ in slices. Then, cutting two slices at a time to achieve equal square size, trim off crusts and cut bread into 1 ½ in squares.
- Using mini bread squares to measure, cut cheese slices into squares the size of the bread, and stack two cheese squares between two bread squares until all bread has been used.
- Heat a non-stick pan or cast iron pan on medium-high heat with a tsp of vegan butter.
- Spread a small amount of vegan butter on both sides of each mini cheese sandwich, and cook on pan, about 4 minutes on each side, until bread is golden and crispy and cheese is melty.
- Serve warm soup in bowls with mini grilled cheeses on top and extra thyme or basil for presentation and freshness! Enjoy all the cozy!