Sweet and Savory Cinnamon Raisin Grilled Cheese
It’s time that your childhood grilled cheese got its glow up. This recipe for Sweet and Savory Cinnamon Raisin Grilled Cheese is comfort food at its best. Sweet figs are paired with rich balsamic vinegar for a delicious spread that is delightful nestled between sharp plant-based cheese, spicy arugula and perfectly spiced Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
Fig & Balsamic Spread
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup red onion, chopped
¼ tsp sea salt
1 cup dried figs, packed, chopped
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup water
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 sprigs fresh thyme
To Assemble (per Sandwich)
2 slices plant-based cheddar cheese, nut free if preferred (I used Parmela)
1 tbsp plant-based butter
- Make the jam: Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sea salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the figs, vinegar, water, maple syrup and thyme. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 13-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced and the figs have softened. Set aside.
- Assembly: Heat plant-based butter in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Add 1 tbsp fig jam to a slice of Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough, and top with plant-based cheese. Transfer to the pan and cook over low heat until the bread begins to crisp, and the cheese begins to melt, about 5-7 minutes.
- Top with arugula and a second slice of Bread SRSLY, flip, and cook on the other side until golden, 4-5 minutes.