Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Make breakfast something to dream about with a deceptively simple recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast! Tangy cream cheese pairs perfectly with juicy strawberries, vanilla, and a touch of zingy lemon zest. No dairy? No problem! This recipe works well with your favorite dairy-free cream cheese alternative. The cream cheese mixture is spread between two pieces of slightly sweet and satisfying crunchy Bread SRSLY Seeded Sourdough before dipped into a spiced egg mixture and cooked until golden brown. I kept this recipe with just a hint of sugar, because if you’re like me, you’ll be drowning your French toast stack with rich maple syrup!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Option
2/3 cup cream cheese (or dairy-free alternative)
1/3 cup chopped strawberries
1 tsp vanilla extract, gluten-free
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 loaf Bread SRSLY Gluten-Free Seeded Sourdough, cut into 16 - ¼ inch slices
½ cup milk (or plant-based alternative)
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil
Yogurt, maple syrup, and chopped berries
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, strawberries, vanilla extract, sugar, and lemon zest.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on each piece of bread to form 8 sandwiches. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, soaking for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Heat coconut oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium low heat. Add the soaked sandwiches, and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden.